The Gate of the Feral Gods - Dungeon Crawler Carl Book 4 review
Here we are, at book four and level five of the dungeon crawl. If you don't know what I mean, please go back to the first book (titled Dungeon Crawler Carl) and go from there. I'll have the links to the other books before this at the end of this blog.
To catch you up since the last book, we have four different areas of level five to conquer. Also the AI was mad everyone teamed up to survive, therefore, everyone is in different biomes starting off. Let the chaos begin!
The Review
Carl, Katia, and Donut are in the air biome, with sand and camel-creatures. The town is Hump Town and the sign says "bang twice to enter". Cue the Picard face palm. The town is about drugs, sex, and money. The castle they need to storm is way above them. The crawlers all have to work together to storm it, and only a small portion of the crawlers are on each biome. Fun. This really does feel like a joke about breaking the AI bubble, as well as a punishment for the crawlers working together on floor four.
The catch? Everyone on each biome has to get their castle conquered or the stairwell doesn't appear. This could wipe out the entire game. Just like the crappy group project from school (where one person fails and you all fail), this could doom everyone on the floor. While this does take out quite a lot of crawlers, they do save at least 1500 of them.
The feral gods are a whole thing and you can read that insanity yourself. We do get an end to the Maggie My storyline, as she is pulled out of her victim (Chris) and killed by Mongo. We get a whole lot of insane, but the epilogue is even more so. Odette has gotten hold of Bea and Gravy Boat/Ferdinand the cat (for some reason) and saved at least one of them from Borant. Why? I don't know and I don't trust a woman like Odette to not do something mean with Bea, and by that I mean being mean to Bea, not Carl. The woman seemed to have enough emotional damage already; she hardly needs more reasons to cry - what with the alien invasion, her lack of Princess Donut, and the breakup. Life had hit her hard enough, so I don't think Odette needs to have her. I don't trust Odette to be nice.
Another revelation, the Porthus crawler is in an organization that is trying to doom the crawl. Carl has help and that help knows he has the book. And that help is trying to break the game. Two people are trying to break the game from both sides of the coin. Zev is also discreetly trying to help, without being "re-educated" again. Basically, we're to the point that the crawl is going to implode on itself real soon. Levels? We'll see how many levels we descend before we get a level that breaks like Hunger Games.
Conclusion
Five stars, easy, and it makes me uneasy that Odette has Bea and left Gravy boat/ Ferdinand. I really, really don't trust Odette to be nice. She's an ally, but I don't think she has a kind heart toward Bea, who is already a broken little stick with emotional issues. We're getting to the dam breaking and I can't wait to see what chaos comes next. I already have the next one (thank you for that, you know who you are), so I can start that right away.
Behind in reviews? Here are the links:
***********************************************************************************
Morrow is released! This novella is the story of two women writing a family history for the Morrow family. They find a nasty secret while researching. Will they survive their internship?
Sign up for my newsletter at this link to get a free first chapter. All you need to plug in is your email. You'll also get a free first chapter of Wrenville, my first novel.
Behold the links to buy the book!
Amazon - https://a.co/d/e5TrMw2


Comments
Post a Comment