Monday, October 7, 2024

Eragon - A Review

 I picked up Eragon from a little library while I was cramming duplicate books into the empty spaces. I exchanged 9 books for one. Today we review that one book. Let's get to it. 

Courtesy of pics.alphacoders.com


I watched the Eragon movie in 2006 and did not fully understand some of it. It turns out what my parents remembered is about what I remembered, too. Which wasn't much except a few scenes. Of what I remember, we have an old man dying on a flying dragon, the dragon and egg itself, a scary scene with someone being interrogated while our main character hid and watched, and a weird cursed woman who was cursed by some weird guy. This is what I remembered in a nutshell. I picked this up purely on the knowledge I enjoyed the movie when I was 11. 

I read this book and was immediately hooked. It began with an excellent prologue and a likable protagonist. After a few chapters, I knew I'd made a good choice. I had a signed copy, too, so I don't know who or why someone put this in a little library. Not everyone is a book dragon, I guess. 

What I liked About It

Let's start from the top. It has similarities to Game of Thrones in the format, but only the format. Both have a prologue that is intriguing but doesn't reveal all. Both introduce you to the world the author built while introducing the characters, making you attached to the characters before the action even begins. Before everything gets intense you know the character and life of your protagonist. You know the town, the people in it, the family, and what their normal life is like. This then gets turned upside down by the events leading into the main plot.

This book is clearly meant to be the first in a series, setting up how the main character learns about his power and abilities. He tests out magic, gets trained by Brom, and learns more about his dragon as they travel to get revenge for his Uncle's awful death. Brom is teaching Eragon what he needs to know for the future plot and future books. This means the next book will likely explain Eragon's and the dragon's abilities less than the first. This is a long, but entertaining, training segment until Brom dies.  

After Brom dies, you see a more mature Eragon. He buries him, has a new companion with secrets he's not sharing, and saves the elf he saw in his dreams after a brief stay in prison (and a rescue). This is where the training montage ends. We get real life smacking him into adulthood as soon as Brom dies. He's 16 and now of age (according to the story). He's making decisions and not impulsively using magic as often. He's learned to use his knowledge. He still makes mistakes, but he's much more cautious. 

To save the elf Eragon rescued, they travel to the Varden, where Murtagh starts getting really temperamental fast. He reveals that his parentage is the reason he's running from both Varden and Empire. Basically, he becomes a problem and an ally at the same time. He ends up, because he didn't split company, trapped into joining Eragon to see the Varden. This is where all the crap hits the fan, in case you were wondering. It's just gotten worse for this traveling party. 

With the Varden, hostility still comes. The elf is being cared for. The Varden doesn't know about Murtagh's secret at this point. The prologue with the elf courier connects directly to this elf, Arya. She was the courier from the prologue. They say it directly. She'd been heavily tortured by a Shade (a race with pointed teeth) by this point in the book. Eragon had seen visions of her in her prison cell before he rescued her. At this point Murtagh is kept separate for his own safety (in a cushy room) and the elf is now healed. Then the crap really hits the fan in an epic battle where Eragon defeats the Shade from the beginning, earning himself a long scar (that looks similar to Murtagh's back scar) and glory, as well as a vision of a strange man in white. The man warns him to keep the mental interaction secret. 

It has not gone Game of Thrones dark, which I was afraid of when it began like Game of Thrones. It's definitely young adult fantasy. It touches on darkness without diving into it deeper than it needs to. You get the point when it does get dark, though. Already our character is damaged, yet when I read this book it isn't a heavy, dark read. It's dark enough to get the point across without scaring its younger audience. 

Courtesy of Amazon

Our Main Characters

Eragon, our protagonist, starts off reckless and then grows up as he's trained. By the end of the training montage portion of the book and Brom's death he's grown into the age of adulthood(16) in the book culture. He's not as reckless. He's on his own and he knows it. He and Saphira are a team, an unstoppable one at that. By the time of Brom's death, he's seen some stuff. He's even saved an elf soon after. He's not a "perfect" protagonist and I like that. He's relatable. 

Saphira is a dragon. She's wise beyond her age. Not only is she sassy and witty, but she's an excellent source of help to Brom, Murtagh, and Eragon. She's bonded to Eragon deeply, something that makes her far more than a pet. She's speaking in thoughts to Eragon. It's a great way to give her more agency than just being an animal. It turns out that dragons had their own society way back when. Not surprising when you see how wise Saphira is. 

Brom is short-lived in this saga. He functions as a mysterious mentor, trains Eragon, and dies in battle. He had secrets for a significant portion of the early chapters. When he revealed all at Eragon's urging Eragon was ready for it. His death transitions Eragon into full adulthood, ending all training montages. He's a wise man who berates Eragon for his serious mistakes early on, driving home that magic is no joke and can kill you if misused. Brom is also reckless in some ways, making his bond to Eragon make more sense. 

Murtagh is a mystery, too, but not a mentor. He's a traveling companion who's hiding from both Empire and Varden, and we don't know why for chapters at a time. Eragon tries to look in his head and sees an impenetrable wall for his trouble. He saved them all, minus Brom who was far too injured to make it. He's been a great help in troubling times. He doesn't ask about Eragon's past and Eragon doesn't ask about his - that is until they need to go to the Varden. He's become a friend and traveling companion. The only thing that he won't do is go to the Varden, due to an issue with his parentage, which causes no end of conflict when the elf they rescued needs a poison antidote. At that point, he became a bit of a problem and was more of a liability. He does battle with the group, but I still am not sure of him. 

Arya, the elf they saved, is unconscious for much of the plot. She then becomes an unstoppable force in the end book battle. She allows Eragon to take out the Shade that controlled the Urgals. Not only that, but she's no damsel in distress. She's a powerful elf and is stronger magically than anyone at the battle. She's amazing and Eragon is enthralled by her. She's no weakling. I love her. 


What To Note

The first thing you need to know is how long this book is. It is a thick fantasy of about 500 pages. If you can barely finish a 200-page novel you'll have a hard time finishing this. The second book is even thicker, 768 pages (not counting the pronunciation guide and elvish/dwarven dictionary). Pick it up when you have time on your hands, not when life is too busy to sit down for fifteen minutes. 

The second thing to note is the genre, which is young adult high fantasy. This was aimed at Young Adult audiences, which means you don't go as hard (or as dark) as Game of Thrones or adult fantasy. High fantasy is more out there. Think epic quests, dragons, elves, dwarves, and magic systems. It doesn't blend real life and fantasy, instead, it creates its own world. This is a good start to getting into fantasy if you want to do so. 

The third thing to note is the book is not the movie. It isn't even close. It was a fun watch, but it didn't explain as much as it could have. It didn't help I watched it when I was a little young for the series, too. I was in elementary school for reference. I kind of want to rewatch it to see it more clearly, through adult eyes. My experience aside, you do need to know the movie and book don't match. 

There are now five books, counting the newest one "Murtagh". The fifth focuses on Murtagh after the events of the first four books. I do want to continue, and I intend to, but I don't know that I'm picking up book 2 right away since it is so long and I have so many on my bucket list. Don't be shocked if the review for "Eldest" shows up on my blog in the next two years. I'm reading these slowly, at my pace. I don't have all day to sit with a book these days. Adulthood is hard. 

The little dictionary at the back is nifty. You'll want to use it. It includes some pronunciation help and translations (so you know what someone said). Use it when you are reading out loud. Not all the words are intuitive and I got some pronunciation wrong while reading. 

Overall Thoughts

This a five-star fantasy and I was nearly compelled to start the 768-page book that was next. I highly suggest picking it up, especially if you want to dip your toes in high fantasy. It doesn't go Game of Thrones hard, so you can get a sense of the genre without struggling through the cruel darkness. It doesn't shy from dark ideas, but it doesn't dwell on them too long. It's the perfect blend of dark and light ideas. Check it out next time you see it somewhere. It's worth the hype and worth the reading time. 

My overall thoughts on all of it have a lot to do with what the storyline sets up. Basically, I am excited to see if Murtagh is actually trustworthy. Eragon may trust him, but I'm still not sure. Arya is amazing and I want to see more of her. Eragon is a bit naive when it comes to people and sees the world through a positive lens, which is unique in such a dark world. I love that. I nearly picked up the next one, the page count being the only reason I didn't. 


***********************************************************

I wrote a book! I am delighted to say that I have 5 five-star reviews up on Amazon now, which is amazing. I hope you like it, too. If you're interested in buying a paperback, hardcover, or ebook version go to my website link in this blog or click here to go straight to my Amazon page. 





Jack Thomas is running from a past case. He's hiding in Wrenville. Is his past case catching up with him? 

Find out in my first book, Wrenville, a stand-alone suspense novel.








No comments:

Post a Comment