Monday, September 16, 2024

When you need to finish your book faster

 Ever been in a situation where you need to finish the open books on your shelf faster? I have. I didn't finish books for two months at one point this year. Today we discuss the strategies you can use to finish that open book pile.

Courtesy of Pixy.org


So you have five books open, or three or two. Let's get those finished quicker, shall we? Today I give you multiple strategies for reading a book faster (whether you have one open or five). I typically have at most three open, which is bad because my reading speed gets chopped in half with every added book. I have two open right now. I need to finish and review Eragon and read my Second Chance pile (literally, donate or keep pile). 

Some of these methods require time or multi-tasking. I know some of us don't do well with either. If you're so busy you don't have time to sit down and read, I understand. Life kicks us hard sometimes. And sometimes we just don't have the motivation to do anything, even if time is available in bulk. Do what works for your life and the time available. 

Just Do It

This is when you sit and open the book for as long as you possibly can. Depending on how big your book is or how small it is, you can even move on to another book (assuming time is on your side). This depends highly on how much downtime God gave you. If you can do this multiple days during the week you'll finish it in no time. If you have one day every week you'll still make a sizable dent. Grab your tea, coffee, snacks, and a cozy pillow. Settle in for a readathon. 

Chip Away At It

This is the method you might use when time is not on your side. A few chapters here and a few chapters there will add up. One chapter a day is even worth it. Maybe set aside a certain amount of time a day to read, making the time to finish that novel you opened two months ago. When you can spare an hour during the day pick up the book. While waiting for the time clock to strike the right moment pull out the novel. Before you know it, you'll hit the last page. 


Courtesy of Winkgo.com

Multiple Methods of Reading


That's right, you can read the same book in multiple forms throughout the day or week. I have read audio and physical books alternately (as long as you bookmark where you stopped in the physical book). It's worth it to find the library audio book and read it in your car on long trips. Even twenty minutes in your car will help you get farther into a book. While I'll admit it isn't as effective as just doing it, it means I can read my book while putting away laundry and doing dishes. 



Choosing the Right Form of Book

What do you read more often? Some people do better with audio, some with ebook, and then others with physical books. Keep this in mind. If you like audio better than physical or physical better than ebook, you'll help yourself finish it. For instance, an ebook will take me longer because I can't stare at my laptop too long. I vastly prefer physical bound books and audio books. This means I choose the form of book carefully. The tip here is to cater to what you like and will read more often. 

Set Goals

This goes with chipping away at the book, but is definitely a step past casually doing so. Set a goal of time or pages every day. You have two hours free every day? Set the goal to read at least one hour or more. You want to make at least fifty pages per reading session? Go for it! You might get more read this way than if you didn't set those goals. You can also go a step farther than this by setting a goal of when you want to finish your book. 


Make A Reading Routine

A reading routine will help you get through multiple books. If you make it a habit, purposely, to sit down before bed with a book you'll create a reading routine. You could also make this a breakfast routine, a mid-day routine, or a bi-weekly routine. Whatever routine you can set to make sure you're reading your books will work. We are all different and prefer different types of books and times of day. Whether you drink tea, coffee, or water is up to you. Whatever routine you set for yourself, it'll help you read more than just this stack of books long-term. 


***********************************************************

I wrote a book! I am delighted to say that I have 5 five-star reviews up on Amazon now, which is amazing. I hope you like it, too. If you're interested in buying a paperback, hardcover, or ebook version go to my website link in this blog or click here to go straight to my Amazon page. 





Jack Thomas is running from a past case. He's hiding in Wrenville. Is his past case catching up with him? 

Find out in my first book, Wrenville, a stand-alone suspense novel.









No comments:

Post a Comment