Monday, April 1, 2024

How To Clean Your Bookshelves

 I am a book dragon. I need to go through my bookshelves and make some hard decisions. I have picked up books and don't know if they are my vibe. I've gotten books that are not on my bucket list, only to not read them. Let's talk about great ways to clean your bookshelves as I go through the lengthy process of cleaning mine. 

Courtesy of pinterest.dk

Fellow book dragons, we need to take a hard look at our shelves every few years (or months if you are constantly buying or picking up books). It'll be tough, but you'll make it. Here are a few ways to do this. 

I'll talk about three main ways I go through my stash of books, then go into what I found on other methods. Some are reading challenges. Ready?

How I Do It

The first attempts at cleaning out your shelf can be little by little, like doing the read-it-or-unhaul-it challenge. Put your books on an Excel sheet or list (numbered), pick a number using a random generator (or state a number at random yourself), and then read it. If you hate it, it leaves. If you like it, it stays. You weed out the stuff you won't ordinarily pick up by doing this every once in a while. You'll thank yourself for making more space (for books you love). I do three books at a time. You can do anywhere between 1 and however many you want. This makes me think when I pick up a book. If I won't read it I don't pick it up. I don't want a book I dread on my 'unread' Excel sheet. 




The one-shelf challenge is picking one random shelf (whatever method works for you on picking a shelf - your call) and reading as much as you can, from that shelf alone, in a period of time you set for yourself. It might be a month, or a week, or two weeks, or three weeks. whatever you want. The point is to clean out that shelf of books you haven't read yet. 

Do you want a time-consuming, but much needed, clean-up? Here's what I am doing. I determined to make two piles - donate and second chance - while going through every shelf. I put the immediate 'donate' books in a pile first (duplicates, what I know I won't reference...). Then, I went through shelf by shelf putting the 'second chance' books in a pile and reading them to weed out the good from the donatable. I'm blogging my process, but I don't know if I'll be done with this lengthy process by the time this posts. By the end, I'll have more space for books I love and adore. 

How Others Do It

Bibliolifestyle.com suggests laying out all your books on the floor (most likely shelf by shelf in small spaces), sorting them between genres or authors while determining what has sentimental value, and purging your books of what you won't read. Any books with mold need to hit the trash can, but books in good condition can be donated to small bookstores, libraries, and friends. Rare books are worth keeping or selling to small bookstores. 

They suggest the guidelines below:

1. If you haven't read it in 2 or 3 years you probably won't.
2. Don't love it? Then don't keep it. 
3. Won't reread it? Then don't keep it. 

Homes and Gardens suggests organizing all your books in one zone, factoring in how much storage space you have in your home. Another way to organize your books is to put them in categories (author, genre, favorites, kid-friendly, adult-friendly...). Weeding out duplicates is also a great way to clear space for more. While clearing out books and doing the dreaded book purge, it helps to set rules and stick to them. Maybe your rules are not someone else's rules. That is totally okay. It is your shelf to enjoy. Be realistic about what books you wish you read and actually read. Sometimes you pick up a classic because you plan to read it and never find the will to. 

After the dreaded purge, it is highly suggested that you put your true favorites back first and set aside the books you plan to read soon. Think about what you want digitally, as well. Digital files don't take up physical space. When the donate pile is in a bag, out of your footpath, make sure you know where they are going. Make the donate station plan before purging or you'll be tripping over it for months or weeks. 




Margery Bayne talks about weeding books using skills she collected (she's a librarian). The first consideration is how often you pick the series or book up to read it. On the flip side, the other way of asking this question is asking what books you don't want to pick up. The second consideration is whether something is out-of-date (like reference books or books that don't apply to you anymore). Thirdly, what books are you showing off to make yourself look smart? Showing off here means you haven't read it and maybe never will. It isn't the cover art of your favorite book; it is more likely a classic. Fourth, if you feel guilty getting rid of it get rid of it. Fifth, take into account whether something is rare or commonly replaceable and reprinted. Sixth, if it doesn't spark joy it should leave. 

Niki Hawkes proposes a challenge, her "overflowing bookshelf challenge". It is specifically for chronic book-buyers who don't read all their collection. The goal is to read what you have. It can be relaxed, intense, or somewhere between. Three mini-challenges can organize the concept if you don't know where to start. 

1. booking buying ban challenge
You must read 3 (or whatever number you determine) books for every 1 you bring home. There is a page count version (1500 pages per 1 book). 

2. borrowing ban challenge
Same idea as challenge 1, but you read 3 (or a determined number) books or 1500 pages for every 1 book borrowed. 

3. book hoarding challenge
You must get rid of 2 (or a determined number) of books for every book you bring home. 

4. book-end challenge
This is for the ones who have the first of a series all over the shelves. Line them up from longest to shortest owned. Read what you bring home and the oldest books first. 

5. FBR Challenge Masher
Choose any challenge at all and try to do as much of it as possible using only owned books. 

6. Book Pledge challenge
Decide how many books you'll read in a given time frame and track your progress.

Book Riot has advice on weeding books, too. The all-at-once option is setting aside an entire weekend or days of time. Start where the fewest books live and go to the most books location. Sort into the categories below.

1. Never read it      2. liked it, would loan out   3. liked it, no big impression  4. not sure if read
5. haven't read it    6. I have to keep it

Make your stacks, label them, and go from shelf to shelf doing this with no second glances. Put the stacks by the door (except stack 5 and 6). Stacks 5 and 6 go back on the shelves. Maybe keep stack 2 if you feel like it. If you want to try out stack 4 for second chances do so. 

The little-by-little method is not so intensive. Determine where you put the donation pile (where you won't trip on it). Go through shelves every few weeks. If you don't think "They will pry it from my cold, dead hands" put it on the pile. This is also great for maintaining a shelf that you cleaned out.

Courtesy of Huffington Post


Conclusion

Some of us look at our books and want to give things a second chance. How do I know if I don't try it? This is what I'm doing. Read-or-unhaul challenges are great for this concept of book decluttering. You can also be cutthroat about it if you are going through years of books you haven't touched. Your choice on method, your choice on how long it will take. Whether you have no space and need to or you feel your books are not appealing to you anymore, try some of the methods. Feel free to comment what you think about them. Cheers!




***********************************************************

I wrote a book! I am delighted to say that I have 5 five-star reviews up on Amazon now, which is amazing. I hope you like it, too. If you're interested in buying a paperback, hardcover, or ebook version go to my website link in this blog or click here to go straight to my Amazon page. 





Jack Thomas is running from a past case. He's hiding in Wrenville. Is his past case catching up with him? 

Find out in my first book, Wrenville, a stand-alone suspense novel.
















Sources:












No comments:

Post a Comment