Monday, March 18, 2024

Book Review - Argylle by Elly Conway

 After going to a movie with some friends, I picked up Argylle by Elly Conway. It is going to be a series. I am reviewing the book, so whether the movie itself matches the book is irrelevant. 

Courtesy of Apple

We all know movies take liberties, frequent liberties on books. This one is no exception. I'm going to say it now - I loved the movie. It may even connect to The Kingsman. Whether the book does this or not is still irrelevant. I'm reviewing the book for what is in the book. It inspired the movie and not the other way around. The book couldn't have better marketing and the movie did it a massive favor by giving it public acknowledgement. The movie is based on the concept ideas for book four (not released or written) and the second movie that is coming will be based on the first book. 

For the record, the book plot does not match the movie plot. I'm saying it right now so you don't expect the movie to match the book. It is the adventure of Agent Argylle. It does not discuss the author and the author bio is probably what inspired the movie the most. The bio includes a dark photo with no real face to speak of and a vague description saying she wrote it while working as a waitress. Nothing more is written on the author. Rumors fly that it is Taylor Swift, but I don't think that is correct. This may be a Lemony Snicket situation (pen names are more common than you think). While we know who Lemony Snicket is, only time will tell with this author. 

Courtesy fo Audible


The Review

This had my attention from the prologue. I couldn't wait to finish it (and not just because I said I'd review it). We start with Aubrey Argylle living a life that is not a secret agent in Thailand. He is giving tours in the mountains and comes upon a DEA helicopter that was shot down. He saves the lives of at least two of them through creative means and later gets visited by someone who is not who they say they are. From there things heat up. He has to leave because he meddled with Thai drug dealer affairs by saving those people in the helicopter. He's invited into intelligence work and takes them up on the offer because he has nothing. 

Another part of the plot is a man named Federov running for Russian politics. He's promised to find the amber room and fixated on some bracelet. In the prologue, his wife is forced to wear it in public despite her distaste for it. He bought it at an auction when the plot goes back a bit - for five million dollars. This whole thing is clearly important. They alternately focus on Federov and the team Argylle is placed in. It is a race to the amber room, for the most part, aside from the search for a traitor amongst Argylle's teammates. 

I will not spoil the ending or the traitor. I will not tell you about the epilogue. You must read it yourself to get that information. I had a blast reading this. I believe you will, too, provided spy novels are your jam. Just so you can get an overview of my reading tastes, most of my collection is suspense, spy thrillers, romances, thrillers in general, romantic suspense, and cozy mysteries. If you like James Bond or Clive Cussler you'll love this. It is like they combined the two (history and spy work). 

Courtesy of Cultture.com

Is It Overhyped?

This is a question I asked before reviewing this. There are two camps for reviews - one being "overhyped" and the other being "5 stars". I give it 5 stars. Ultimately, many might have thought they were "reading" the movie. Don't make that mistake. You are not. This is the first of at least four books. This is three books ahead of the movie you saw in theatres. Keep that in mind when you open this cover and get to reading. The movie is not the book. 

People ask this question because this book is being promoted by a movie. The same question applies to books going viral on TikTok or books that get massive publicity (can't get better than a movie being an ad for your book). Sometimes books are overhyped (Fourth Wing and other examples can be seen by book reviewers on Youtube). Sometimes a book is just that good. In this case, it is just that good. Give it a chance. Pick it up. 

If you would like to try it out, I have provided the Amazon link here for Argylle. Happy reading!

***********************************************************

I wrote a book! I am delighted to say that I have 5 five-star reviews up on Amazon now, which is amazing. I hope you like it, too. If you're interested in buying a paperback, hardcover, or ebook version go to my website link in this blog or click here to go straight to my Amazon page. 





Jack Thomas is running from a past case. He's hiding in Wrenville. Is his past case catching up with him? 

Find out in my first book, Wrenville, a stand-alone suspense novel.











No comments:

Post a Comment