Monday, February 12, 2024

Quiet - a review

I read Quiet. Here's my review of the book and why you should pick it up whenever you get the chance. I feel so seen as an introvert that I wish everyone would read this. 

Courtesy of Random House Audiobooks


This book is one woman's extensive research on introversion in an extrovert-focused world. I can't say it enough; everyone needs to read this. There is so much more in here I can't sum up everything without just handing you the book. 

For now, I'm reviewing Quiet in these categories - readability, credibility, and how likable the writer is. I don't often read the non-fiction genre (where this book falls). I still loved it. I feel incredibly understood as an introvert and I can't say enough about how good this book is. 

Readability

Readability is essentially asking "How easy is this to read?" I don't often read nonfiction. I said this earlier and I will prove it. I loved the book  Code Girls about women breaking codes, but it was a slog (despite my enjoyment of it). This book was no slog. Quiet was so easy to understand and read I could read half of it in about three to four hours. In fact, I did. It was worth my time and energy. It'll be worth yours. If I can read this nonfiction, you can too.

Credibility

Here we ask another question; is our source credible?  She is. You can look at her sources and check them yourself. You can also find extra content on how to raise introverts, how to teach introverts, and how to public speak as an introvert. These are all short and summarized in the back. It is part of her book at a glance if you need just a glance. It's nice. 

On top of all this, she has at least three to four studies in this book, as well as interviews she conducted herself. She dove into this topic with a passion. She gathered the stories, talked from experience, and got other peoples' experiences down on paper. She spent a lot of time researching this. She knows what she is talking about. 


Likable

The author's tone makes a difference in any book of any genre. Nonfiction tends to show someone's bias at some point. In a book about introversion, it is easy to make extroverts the enemy - especially when the world is run by extroversion, making it harder for introverts to feel okay with their own tendencies and themselves. This being said, our author never belittles extroverts. She suggests that extroverts and introverts work together to make the world a better place. We both have our own strengths and weaknesses. 

This makes the author a likable, compassionate, and loving human being. She does not villainize extroverts, nor does she overpraise introverts. While she is an introvert herself, she doesn't say "I'm perfect" or say that introverts need to rule the world. Bias comes into play when she speaks (same for me, same for you), but it doesn't taint her message. She can objectively look at research and come to a logical conclusion. That conclusion is simple; let's work together to understand each other and love each other. 

Conclusion

At the end of the day (and this blog post) I feel understood by this book. There is nothing wrong with introversion - no matter how many times you were called "shy" and put in environments that didn't allow you to thrive. There is nothing wrong with extroversion either. 

This book is for everyone. I want every professor who demands "participation" in class to read this and understand that it might mean more than vocalizing to participate. I want elementary teachers to read this book and understand you might be emotionally damaging your students to shove them in front of an audience while demanding they perform. I want parents to read this, students to read this, and I want extroverts to read this. I think this book can speak to everyone. This is a five-star read for me. 

Let me know what you think of this book in the comments. I would welcome any suggestions on what books I should review next. Cheers!

***********************************************************

I wrote a book! I am delighted to say that I have 5 five-star reviews up on Amazon now, which is amazing. I hope you like it, too. If you're interested in buying a paperback or ebook version go to my website link in this blog or click here to go straight to my Amazon page. 





Jack Thomas is running from a past case. He's hiding in Wrenville. Is his past case catching up with him? 

Find out in my first book, Wrenville, a stand-alone suspense novel.



No comments:

Post a Comment