Monday, March 20, 2023

Wait, that's their natural voice?!


Today I want to lighten the mood and talk about four actors' voices. I'm speaking of the voices of Piglet, Frosty the Snowman, KITT the car, and Yzma. The actors voicing these characters are using their natural voices. 

Courtesy of Eric Juneau Books


Today's blog isn't complicated. I needed something quick to write up and thought this was rather fascinating. It still breaks my brain to hear the voice of KITT outside of the TV show Knight Rider. Without much introduction, I'm diving in. 

KITT

Anyone who isn't familiar with KITT the car never watched Knight Rider, or at least didn't watch more than two seconds of the show. The voice of the car is William Daniels, also known for TV shows Boy Meets World and St. Elsewhere. He's voiced KITT even up to the year 2020, according to IMDB. The video below is Michael Knight/Long being introduced to KITT in an unexpected twist. 

Does that voice sound synthesized to you? It did to me too, but let me show you a clip from Boy Meets World and break your brain. Listen carefully.


Yzma

Watching Emperor's New Groove is a brainless, yet fun experience. Yzma is voiced by Eartha Kitt, who is known for playing Catwoman and being a singer. She had a rough life. I don't mean that she had a hard time rising to fame, either. No, she was given away by her mother and treated horribly. She danced her way out of poverty. She wasn't treated well in her younger years. Let me direct you to a video by Kaz Rowe, where she goes into great detail on the awful experiences Eartha Kitt went through. Click here if you want more information on Eartha Kitt.

Right now I'm moving on to the main topic, her voice. Below is a clip from Emperor's New Groove. She is known for her distinct voice.  

I had a hard time deciding what clip to put in of her speaking naturally. I decided that I'd put in a compilation of Catwoman and let you listen. Though the purring is added for the character, the rest of it is purrrfectly genuine. 


Piglet

Winnie the Pooh is a classic. I loved it as a kid and it is still wonderful. The movie Christopher Robin is just as good. What you may not know is Piglet's voice (up to the year 2005) is the natural voice of John Fiedler. The man is no longer living to voice Piglet and others have taken over since the year 2005. Do you want to hear the original voice? Let me show you. Keep in mind you've heard him as more than Piglet. He voiced the man who threw off Cuzco's groove, was in a Columbo episode, and voiced a porcupine in The Fox and The Hound. While he was mostly Piglet, he also acted in other films.


Alright, you know the pattern by now. I'm going to show you a video of the man speaking in person. You can't mistake which one John Fiedler is. 


Frosty the Snowman

My husband watched a Night Gallery and found the voice of Frosty. He couldn't quite place the voice, but he knew it for sure. Then he looked up the actor and discovered why it was so darn familiar. Jackie Vernon voiced Frosty the Snowman. He voiced the specific episode of "make me laugh" in Night Gallery, in case you were going to search for it later. You know I'm going to put a clip of Frosty to be sure you know the voiceprint, yet I'm sure I don't have to. 



Night Gallery is not something my brain needs to latch onto, so I'm not going to post the segment here. I'm going to have his standup, instead. 




Conclusion

While I can think of three more, I'll save those for another day. Not every voice actor can use their natural voices for roles, but these did. 


Oh, and I can't forget to tell you about my book, Wrenville, available on Amazon. Click here for a Kindle or paperback copy.










No comments:

Post a Comment