Monday, October 24, 2022

Christian Films Worth Watching

 I talk about the Christian bubble (link here for my blog on that) and Christian fiction (see here), but let's focus on the visual media that isn't printed on a page. I want to look at all the exceptions to the rule. While there are badly made preachy films and fake Christian media out there, I'll be highlighting the ones you should be looking up. 

Courtesy of wordandway.org


I could look up an entire list or two or five of the best Christian films that are well-made, however, I have my own list that I'd like to give you. I know for a fact that these are good. I have watched all these beautiful films, except for one category. I can look up more and watch them for myself on a future blog. For now, I give you my personal recommendations. 

Some of you will be saying that not all these films were directed and made by Christians. You'd be right. It seems that some Christian filmmakers have also directed horror films, so I don't care who directed it, in my personal opinion. If you care I can respect that fully. Just know that this list doesn't pay any mind to who produced or directed the film itself. You'll have to look into that yourself. I'd encourage you to appreciate the film despite the director or producer.

The Miracle Maker


Any claymation or stop-motion photography film is impressive, but when you can make Jesus roll his eyes in claymation and the water look like it comes in and out you are good. It came from the late '90s and it is Jesus's life in stop-motion photography. Keep in mind that anything in this style took months and possibly years to make due to the nature of the art. It isn't a common art because it takes so long to make just three minutes alone. Fluid motion is legitimately impressive. It takes effort. If you need an example of stop-motion films you can look at some Wes Anderson films, Tim Burton films, and Aardman films. This holds up to that standard and takes it slightly higher even. When you take an effort to put Jesus' life in claymation and it looks this amazing, it is worth watching just to marvel at the craftsmanship of the film. Watch it on Youtube free with ads (and be aware it is also a western title) and enjoy! The DVD is probably worth the money, too. Click here to find it easy.

VeggieTales

Okay, so your kids may like this more than you will. To be fair, it is quality entertainment that not many could replicate in Christian media. People tried and failed to meet this high standard and cash in on it. 


I will warn you about one thing; the original team that did VeggieTales is no longer running the show. I suggest you stick to the older shows and movies to see the best of them. I can't guarantee the high mark that made the old ones good will be in the new content. I am sad to say that the original creators were booted out of the production team, as far as I know. Be aware of this and go rent those DVDs from the library if you want to be sure you've got the good stuff. 


Sherwood Pictures

The broad category you see here encompasses all the films made by Sherwood Pictures, which is a church production team. My husband loves these movies for their depth when I can safely say that many Christian films lack depth. Lack of depth leads to fluff instead of content. The movie Fireproof takes on serious issues. Flywheel is the first film they made. War Room is all about prayer. 


If my husband can love these films, you can too. He craves depth in entertainment and suggested them to me. Give them a try. See what you think. 


The Passion of The Christ

I was forced to watch this one at my old church. It turned out to be a good film. It is exactly what you'd expect it to be, which is all about Jesus. The graphic nature of his crucifixion is shocking. Be aware of the fact it won't be pretty. They used good actors and had a great script. There is a sequel coming. I can't say what that will be like. It is one of the highest-grossing films. 




The film is not for young kids. Please understand it is rather intense in nature and won't be something your young child can watch without trauma. Also, the original might be in Aramaic. While I suppose that it may give a better picture of Jesus' suffering, I wouldn't show this to any small child. Put this away until only adults are in the room. 


Prince of Egypt

This one is for the whole family. It is the story of Moses. I know for a fact that even secular audiences will watch this one, which is a mark of quality all by itself. I love this film. Someone took great care in recreating Moses' life. Yes, they took maybe one or two liberties, but I can't name a film that didn't. 


Give this one a family movie night or two. You and your kids will love it. Also, the voice of Ramses in this one is the voice of Jesus in The Miracle Maker. 



Bonus Content

Let's talk about Narnia and Lord of the Rings (LOTR). I know they aren't the Christian genre, a strong reason why both Christian and nonchristian audiences know and love these books and movies. We also know that the authors are strong Christians. There are reflections of Christianity throughout both. The genre these are technically in is children's literature and fantasy.

The scene below is what I think honestly reflects the crucifixion even more than the passion does. I can't not cry in distress as Aslan gets killed by the white witch to cover someone else's actions. 


I included this scene because it genuinely reflects what Jesus did for us, giving up His glory and paying our sins' price to free us. It is hard to watch what happens to Aslan, yet it gives us an accurate picture of how much Jesus suffered (even if it isn't a human representative being Jesus). 

LOTR portrays sin, represented by the one ring. It threatens to overtake everyone who has it. The depth of evil in this ring practically destroys Frodo as he goes with Sam to Mordor on a mission to destroy it. In the end, Sam is the only one who can give the ring back to someone, pointing to the concept of Sam being the true hero as he tries to help Frodo carry it. 











No comments:

Post a Comment