Monday, November 1, 2021

Lesser-known Books

 

Fellow readers, I'd like to suggest several books that are not mainstream, are great, or both. These authors need more love and attention. Consider this a reading list of lesser-known or awesome books.

Photo by Literary Hub

Many authors in the world are not advertised like JK Rowling and James Patterson. The bigger the name, the more advertising you have, and the more money you make. Small authors need some love. I can suggest a few that I know are good. Are you ready to go buy more books? Need some ideas for the upcoming Christmas season? Let me help. 

Maggie Sullivan Mysteries

Photo By Amazon
You don't see much Marlowe-Esque hardboiled fiction anymore, especially if you want a female detective. Today you are in luck. Maggie Sullivan Mysteries are written by Ruth Myers, who won an award for these books. There are Nine of these mysteries and two short stories starring the tough woman Maggie Sullivan. She takes cases during the depression era and lives in Dayton, Ohio, where she has chosen a career most women have not. I highly suggest picking up the first one and seeing if you like it. I read the first one and got hooked, then impulsively bought every book of it on my Kobo app. 

You don't know the order of the books? Well, let me fix that. 

1. No Game For A Dame
2. Tough Cookie
3. Don't Dare A Dame
4. Shamus In A Skirt
5. Maximum Moxie
6. Dames Fight Harder
7. Uncivil Defense
8. Ration Of Lies
9. Victory Garter

Short Stories
1. The Barefoot Stiff
2. A Concrete Garter Belt

Inspector Lefebvre Series


Photo by Simon and Schuster
Gary Inbinder is a man who only wrote five books. He is a retired lawyer. Two are stand-alone novels. The last three are a series that focuses on the main character Inspector Lefebvre, a man who has a wife and daughter, lives in his mother-in-law's house, and solves three mysteries around the time after the White Chapel murders (Jack the Ripper). Inbinder pulls two characters from his first stand-alone novel The Flower to the Painter to start the series off. He also focuses on the art world quite a bit. You'll see what I mean if you open the first mystery or the stand-alone featuring the two re-used characters.

The order:
1. The Devil in Montmartre  2.The Hanged Man  3. The Man Upon the Stair

I loved his first mystery so much I impulse-bought (yes, I have a problem with buying books) all five of his books with my Christmas/Birthday money. He's worth it. 


Misc. Books that I'm told are good

I did some research and found some good series I've never heard of. The websites I have below include fantasy series that I've never seen in any physical bookstore I've encountered. It appears you'd be reading forever if I wrote detailed descriptions, so the link below is where you will find many beautiful books to read. Garrett PI  looks particularly intriguing to me. 


The young adult fiction genre can't be missed. This link I am including would, again, be too long to write out a description for all the books. I'll let you explore these yourselves. I will, however, highlight a few that I know are fantastic. 


The two young adult fiction series that will never die for me are Maximum Ride (by James Patterson) and A Series of Unfortunate Events (by Lemony Snicket). I know that Patterson is a big name here, but I include it only because it is in the link above. Lemony Snicket, an odd duck if you've read anything he's written, is especially for those who are odd ducks themselves. I love his stuff. He even wrote a Christmas book about a piece of coal. Look into that man and see if you're into his stuff. There are 27 more series in the link above. 

Conclusion 


Photo by Tygertale - an illustration from The 
Lump of Coal by  Lemony Snicket
Some of these books are somewhat mainstream and some are complete unknowns. Every genre has an audience. Yes, I did include two books you know to be in most bookstores. I only did that because they were in the link I found and were proven good. If you want to pursue any new series please let me know what you think by commenting. If you found one to be so fantastic it blew your mind, definitely comment and I will look into reading it myself. Either way, give the authors here some love. Make this piece of coal you see smile. 





No comments:

Post a Comment